5.27.2011

today I'm grateful for the process.

Today was my last official day at the Denver Public Library--as an intern, that is. I am excited to begin my on-call library career with Denver Public Library next month! My internship provided me with an excellent introduction to DPL, so I think getting the ball rolling next month will be a breeze.

Today was an amazing day from start to finish. I arrived at the Woodbury early to find the entire staff waiting for me with a card, ice cream cake, an orchid, a potted plant, and Mexican candies! I was so honored to receive their thanks. In all honesty, I owe them everything for giving me such a wonderful experience, and for helping me secure the on-call job: I am indebted to them forever.

The day was busy with Summer of Reading sign-ups, last-day-of-school visits from neighboring elementary schools, and the general busy Friday reference desk schedule. I walked to 32nd and Lowell for a sandwich at bang!, where I enjoyed one of the best sandwiches ever (a BLT, to be exact.) I spent my lunch hour sitting at a table under a tree, writing thank-you cards to Beth and Pilar, my practicum supervisors.

As I sat there, I noticed two women at the neighboring table with Spanish dictionaries and worksheets. I couldn't help but overhear that they were practicing Spanish together. It made me realize that, four years ago, I never would have guessed that my Spanish skills would give me the opportunities that I've had since graduating college. Just as learning a second language has been a journey for me, so has this process of earning a Master's degree--and I am so very grateful for this life; my journey; the process.

I began volunteering at Woodbury in 2008, when I was an eager college graduate wanting to work in libraries, not knowing that, today, three years later, I would finish my graduate school internship at the very same library. I feel truly blessed today, and I dedicate this post to my classmates at the University of Denver, and all of my professional colleagues. The future will be bright for us if we believe in our dreams.

No comments:

Post a Comment