7.26.2011

Confessions of a Job Hunter

Today I realized that it has been almost an entire month since I have posted a blog entry. The likelihood of anyone caring about that is slim, but it makes a huge difference to me: the time I spend putting into my writing is time spent de-stressing, and right now, I'll take as much of that as I can get.

My dilemma recently has been the idea that, as a professional, should I only opt and apply for "professional" library positions? The question arose early last week when I saw a "non-professional" job posting at a nearby library district. The position details are right up my alley, but I was concerned by the "para-professional" label of the job. In this economy, is it reasonable to disregard positions that don't carry the prestige of a "professional" label?

For me, this is an extremely important question. I spent two years earning a Master's degree, and even through school, I worked as a para-pro at a law library (where I have very fortunately been able to work for nearly three years.) This is probably the most professional setting I will ever encounter as far as clientele, as we serve a great number of very important people in the state. Although my job title implies that my job does NOT require a Master's degree, the level of work I perform and the people with whom I work are both extremely professional. It's starting to make me realize that "professional" can be part of a job title, but it can also be a state of mind--and really, it SHOULD be a state of mind, regardless of the job or the benefits or the prestige.

I have to admit: there are more desireable positions than others. My work at the Denver Public Library makes me want to make a professional investment there. At the same time, is it safe to wait for a more ideal position, or is it better to take what you can get, even if it's less than ideal in terms of advancement, compensation, and professional development?

I think any opportunity is a GOOD opportunity in this economy. Professional position or not, there is something to be learned from any job in any setting anywhere. In any case, I am excited to see where all of my most recent interviews will take me. Things may or may not change for me soon, but they will eventually--and I'm anxious to see where I might be able to venture.

No comments:

Post a Comment